It turns out that whey is a great substitute for buttermilk or liquid in bread and muffin recipes.
Since I love muffins, some of my whey was used to bake banana ginger muffins!
Banana Ginger muffins fresh out of the oven
The dry ingredients
The wet ingredients
My stock of whey
Recipe calls for one cup of whey
Dry and wet ingredients meeting for the first time
In the oven
Lovely pieces of ginger. I wish the Internet had a scratch and sniff feature.
Best served with peanut butter and nutella!
Banana Ginger Muffins
2 cups of flour (I used 1 cup of white and 1 cup of whole wheat)
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp of ground ginger
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1 tbl finely chopped crystalized ginger
1 cup of whey
2 mashed up bananas
1. Preheat the oven to 425F
2. Mix dry ingredients together including finely chopped crystalized ginger
3. Mash bananas with a fork and mix in remaining wet ingredients
4. Mix dry and wet ingredients together
4. Fill a 12-cup muffin tray with each cup 2/3 full
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown
My next baking with whey project: pumpkin scones. Stay tuned....